If you roll into bed without taking a few simple steps to care for your skin, then your skin is suffering. It certainly is not benefiting from all the hours you sleep.
Dermatologists and skin care professionals break your ‘skin care day’ into two parts: morning and night. That gives products and skin biology approximately 12 hours to ‘work’ to support your best complexion.
In that 24-hour period, bedtime is the best time to focus on therapeutic products that fix skin problems and keep skin healthy. When you are asleep, you can focus your skin care on what your skin needs instead of how you need your skin to look.
What are the best bedtime skin care habits for healthy skin?
- Wash your face before bed. It’s important. Pick a cleanser compatible to your skin type and that will remove makeup, sunscreen, and the day’s dirt and oil. Bedtime facial cleansing will help prevent clogged pores. It is also a good way to prevent dead skin build-up that causes lusterless skin tone.
- Apply night treatment products. Use these hours to let therapeutic products work through the night to improve complexion problems like acne, wrinkles, uneven skin pigment, and rashes like Rosacea etc.
- Maintain proper skin hydration by applying a moisturizer. Pick a moisturizer compatible to your skin type (read more about picking a facial moisturizer here and a body moisturizer here). Your skin moisture level helps to maintain your skin barrier strength. This, in turn, helps to protect your skin from environmental stressors like dryness, irritation, redness, and chapping. This all depends on your skin hydration. Moisturizers are important, and bedtime is a great time to quench your skin’s thirst.
What are the two most common mistakes people make in their night time skin care?
- Not washing their faces before bed to remove the day’s dirt, oil, and skin care products.
- Not moisturizing all freshly cleansed skin. Moisturizers always work best when applied within 3 minutes after getting out of the bath or shower and toweling skin dry. Apply moisturizer at bedtime, and let it sink in to create healthy and attractive skin during the day too.